What Kind of Deed When Gifting A Property?

Quit Claim or Special Warranty Deed

I answered an online question today. The writer was preparing to give a Texas property to his child and wanted to know if he should use a Quit Claim or Gift Deed.

While a Quit Claim Deed might get the property transferred, it will likely become problematic somewhere down the line when the child goes to sell the property. Texas title insurers usually will not accept a Quit Claim Deed.  If the original owner cannot be found or has passed away, it can create title issues.

While I would suggest a Special Warranty Deed, it would be best to speak with a title company or attorney about this situation.

See our list of Dallas Fort Worth Title Companies.

Tom Branch, Broker, CDPE, SFR

Photo: Licensed from iStockPhoto

About Tom Branch

Tom Branch has written 597 posts in this blog.

Have you ever just met someone, but felt you like you'd known him for years? That's what most people experience with Tom. He has a knack for making folks feel right at home. After 21 years in the Air Force, loyalty and honesty are the foundation of everything Tom does. In addition to being a Texas Real Estate Broker, Tom is a Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE) and a Short Sales & Foreclosure Resource (SFR).